Monday 17 October 2011

Nils Frahm - Felt



The wonderful label Erased Tapes has released the newest piece of art from the Berlin based pianist and composer Nils Frahm. I got more acquainted with the work of Nils Frahm last year with the his duo with Anne Muller excellent "Seven Fingers" exploring Modern Classical, IDM and sonic glitchy soundscapes with a lot of class.

"Felt" not altogether so different but explores the intimacy of a Modern Classical raw piano with a soft pop sensibility in a stunning and introspective way the use of space and silence like his predecessors Sylvain Chauveau and Rachel Grimes, guaranteed to be a wonderful soundtrack to gaze at Mark Rothko masterpieces.

Track nr. 2 "Less" is a absolute masterpiece exploring the subtleness of those elements together with microcosmic field recording ambients.

"Originally I wanted to do my neighbours a favour by damping the sound of my piano. If I want to play piano during the quiet of the night, the only respectful way is by layering thick felt in front of the strings and using very gentle fingers. It was then that I discovered that my piano sounds beautiful with the damper."

Nils Frahm - Felt (teaser) by erasedtapes

Nils Frahm & Anne Müller live at Rewire Festival + Sylvain Chauveau and Peter Broderick & Machinefabriek 5 November Den Haag